5 ways to boost your spirits for Valentine's Day
Feb 08, 2020
Valentine's Day doesn't have to be so depressing, if you're marriage has recently ended or you're still moving through all the complicated feelings a year or more out, this post is for you!
Instead of dwelling in what you don't have on Valentine's Day, let's focus on what you do have this Feb. 14th.
I'd like to re-frame Valentine's Day as an occasion to celebrate the people you love (not just romantically love) as well as loving on yourself! Who knows, you might even find it more enjoyable than any past Valentine's festivities to date! :)
No more snacking on piles of chocolates while watching a rom-com movie and crying the whole way through! You deserve better, and besides, your single status wont last forever, there is someone out there looking for you right now - you just haven't crossed paths yet. You know it.
Here's 5 simple ways to focus on the love you do have in your life:
- celebrate with your kids, write things you love about them on paper hearts and stick them on their bedroom door or put them in a card for them to re-read for years to come! Kids LOVE to hear why they are loved and generally awesome - and let's face it, we probably don't tell them as often as we should.
- celebrate yourself and how strong, powerful and resilient you are by doing something you love - a warm bath with a great book, your favourite take out, snuggled up in bed with a fab book, a massage, dinner with other single girlfriends or family - whatever you want, just as long as you are genuinely look forward to it!
- write yourself love note. Talk to yourself the same way you'd talk to a good friend, going through the same thing. Let the negative self talk take a backseat for awhile. Cut yourself some slack and provide yourself with some encouragement - you deserve it! Save the note for any time you need a boost.
- spend some time imagining the life you want. Write it down in as much detail as possible, take as long as you need to write this out. You know it's detailed enough when you can feel your body responding as if you were already there - like you feel relaxed and at peace and radiate happiness/fulfillment. What's one small step you can take today to get closer to that vision? Do it.
- brighten someone else's day - if you know a co-worker or friend who will find Valentine's day difficult this year or could generally use some encouragement - send them a quick note about how they've positively impacted your life or something you enjoy about them - you can do this over the phone or in person as well - whatever makes the most sense!
There you have it! Give love to others and give yourself some love - that's a winning combination for feeling good - way better than a chocolate and wine hangover the next morning!
Happy Valentine's Day!
Wishing you all the best,
I'd love to Join!
Join Our Parenting Community!
Keep Up to Date with the blog and all the goings on here!
Together we can positively change the way families are affected by Separation & Divorce! :)